Te Aka Tauawhi Tangata - Women's Clinic, Rotorua Hospital provides early medical abortion - up to 9 weeks; early surgical abortion - up to 14 weeks + 2 days; and later abortion - by assessment. You can self-refer to this service.
The First Step
To be seen or referred to the abortion service at Te Aka Tauawhi Tangata - Women's Clinic, Rotorua Hospital you can do one of the following:
- Call the nurses at Tauawhi (0800 726 447) and the nurse will provide you with information and can arrange your appointments.
- See your GP or nurse and ask for a referral.
- Be seen at Rotovegas Youth Health Rotorua (free for 15-24 year olds) by phoning (07) 343 1013.
- Be seen at Anamata Taupō (07) 376 0098.
- See your school nurse.
- See the nurses at Toi-Ohomai health clinic.
Counselling is optional and is available through the social work team at your DHB. Post abortion counselling appointments are also available.
Medical termination (taking pills) is available up to 9 weeks of pregnancy.
Surgical Termination at Rotorua Hospital
Vacuum aspiration is available up to 14.6 weeks under light sedation and local anaesthetic (awake).
Termination more than 14.6 weeks pregnant
If you are more than 14.6 weeks pregnant, please contact your health practitioner or Tauawhi for advice.
Follow-up is provided by your referring health care provider.